Skip to main content

Here in Hanover

The Impact of David’s House on DHMC Families and How You Can Help Keep the Promise

Aug 15, 2013 01:27AM ● Published by Erin Frisch

There aren’t many basic necessities that everyone needs in life: water, food, clothing, shelter. For families with children who need medical care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, comfortable and convenient shelter can be hard to find. Fortunately for them, David’s House has been offering a home away from home to families facing a health crisis since 1986. The home is named in honor of David Cyr, who lost his battle against leukemia at the young age of five. In founding the house, David’s family made a promise to other families that struggle to find shelter close to DHMC. To date, David’s House has sheltered 12,101 families and counting.

Unfortunately, promises made are not always easily kept. While David’s House was able to open a bigger facility in Hanover in 1994 to house more guests, it still wasn’t enough. Even as it accepted thousands of families from across the United States and around the world, it still had to deny hundreds shelter because of limited space. But in 2011, David’s House announced its solution to the lack of rooms: a two-year campaign to keep the promise. Indeed, the campaign was named “Keeping David’s Promise” and aimed to raise $4 million in 24 months. With these funds, David’s house would be able to renew its promise to shelter families in need during stressful times. With four new bedrooms, four more families could enjoy David’s hospitality.

The campaign was launched, and in October of 2012, construction began on the new addition. The cottage-style addition features more than just four spacious new bedrooms. It also includes two extra bathrooms, an office, a multi-purpose room, and a Nursing Mothers’ Center. On June 21, 2013, Dick Cyr, David’s father and the founder of David’s House, cut the ribbon to officially open the new addition. More than a hundred supporters gathered in front of the beautiful, sunshine-yellow home to celebrate the momentous occasion. Thanks to all who contributed, from a few dollars to a few thousand, David’s House will be able to offer a home to more families for years to come.

We invite you to make a promise to a family in need: donate to David’s house, and help ensure that the facility can pay operating costs. Without donors and volunteers who selflessly pledge their time, money, and efforts every day, David’s House would cease to exist, leaving families without shelter as they support their loved ones at DHMC. No sum is too small; while David’s House expects that the new addition will house about 90 percent of those previously turned away, that still leaves 10 percent without a safe and secure place to stay during medical treatment. Any amount you can spare will help uphold David’s Promise for one of these families in the future. To make a donation or to learn about how you can help, visit the official David's House website and click on “Get Involved.” You too can make and keep a promise.

 The Impact of Davids House on DHMC Families  and How You Can Help Keep the Promise

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to Here in Hanover's free newsletter to catch every headline

Community

 

 

Proudly Brought To You By These Community Sponsors