Better Bites for Back to School
Jul 27, 2015 04:34AM
● By Family Features
There’s plenty of research that shows eating well and school performance are closely linked. Whether you’re fueling up for a busy day or grabbing a snack on the go, keeping nutrition in mind will help the whole family feel good about diving into an exciting new school year.
A Smooth Way to Add Fruits & Veggies
Today’s nutritional guidelines recommend that children consume at least five servings per day of fresh fruits and vegetables. Yet the reality is many parents struggle with getting their kids to eat healthier, especially during the school year. The good news is, with very little preparation you can serve healthy, grab-and-go meals that are not only nutrient-rich, they’re vegetarian friendly and delicious. With meals like this, your kids might actually want seconds. Try this quick, refreshing recipe for a breakfast or after school snack option. If you’re feeling inspired, create your own butter lettuce recipe — it might be worth a $1,000. Learn how at www.lettucerecipecontest.com.
- 1/2 papaya, peeled (plus slices from remaining half for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 head Live Gourmet® Living Butter Lettuce (chopped, cleaned and root removed)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime, peeled
- Apple and/or pear slices for garnish (optional)
- Using a traditional, compact or hand blender, mix all ingredients for 30 seconds or until smooth. Garnish with slices of papaya and apple or pear, if desired.
Protein Power for On-the-Go Parents
Here’s a quick and healthy low-calorie snack that’ll make parents’ lives a little easier this back-to-school season. It’s rich and tasty with body-fueling protein, fiber and carbs to give you the energy you need, but won’t load you down with sugar. For more information, visit www.bowflexbody.com.
Prep time: 12 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 10-12 truffles
- 1/2 cup plain rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 scoop Bowflex Body French Vanilla shake powder
- 1 packet Bowflex Body Rich Chocolate Fat Burner+ shake boost
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup all-natural chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup)
- Combine all truffle ingredients in mixing bowl and stir well. Place bowl in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes so mixture can firm up. Remove bowl from refrigerator and form 10-12 small balls. Roll each ball in cocoa powder to lightly coat.
- Notes: For easier mixing of peanut butter, warm in microwave for 30 seconds before use. Truffles can be stored in refrigerator for 1 week or in freezer for 1 month.
Nutrition information per serving (1 truffle): 105 calories; 3 g protein; 9 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber.
A Sweet Way to Start the Day
Start each school day on a sweet note with all-natural sweetener instead of syrup on your pancakes, waffles and other breakfast favorites. Maguey Sap, carefully crafted and brought to you by Villa de Patos, is an unrefined and unprocessed alternative sweetener with unique flavor and tons of versatility in baked goods, marinades, dairy products, beverages and more. Buy a bottle of Maguey Sap, check out additional recipes and learn more at www.villadepatos-us.com.
Yield: 8 slices
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 8 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 4 tablespoons Maguey Sap
Heat oven to 400°F.
On foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, arrange bacon in single layer (use baking rack for crispier bacon). Bake until fat is rendered and bacon is beginning to brown, about 15-18 minutes.
Remove from oven and brush one side with Maguey Sap. Bake another 3-5 minutes, or until coated side of bacon is browned.
Remove from oven and flip each piece using tongs. Brush second side with Maguey Sap. Bake another 3-5 minutes, or until browned.
Drain away grease and allow bacon to rest 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy with your favorite pancakes.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images (family in kitchen)