Top 9 Perennials for Low-Maintenance Ecological GardensMar 04, 2015 01:22PM ● By Ryan Frisch
Sylvia Provost of Henderson's Tree and Garden Service suggests the top 9 low-maintenance perennials for Upper Valley gardens.
1. Maindenhair Fern (Adiatum pedatum): Lovely native groundcover for shade.
2. Butterfly Weed (Aesclepis tuberosa): The name says it all! Vibrant orange blooms.
3. Agastache “Blue Fortune” or Anise Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum): Exceptionally long bloom. Leaves make a nice tea.
4. False Indigo (Baptisia austrailis): Easy to grow, long lived, beautiful bush-like habit.
5. Sedges (Carex): Tough, versatile, native groundcovers for sun or shade.
6. Coneflower or Echinacea “Solar Flare”: So much to love about Echinaceas. Great medicinal and wildlife value.
7. Coral Bells (Heuchera villosa): Easy care with a great array of foliage colors.
8. Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis): Vibrant blooms attract pollinators. Great in damp areas.
9. Catmint (Nepeta): Easy-care plant with long bloom. Very useful.
There are so many beautiful plants out there. Get in touch and tell us
your favorites. There’s a good chance we have them in stock!