Start a New Tradition: Take the Family Boating on the Connecticut River
Jul 31, 2012 06:13PM ● Published by Erin Frisch
Chieftain Inn Pontoon Boat on the Connecticut River
If you’re looking for a fun way to spend an afternoon with your family, consider renting a pontoon boat from the Chieftain Inn. Pack a couple coolers with your favorite foods and beverages, put on your swim suit and get ready for a fun-filled afternoon. Here are 7 memorable activities to enjoy out on the river:
- Visit the rope swing directly across from the Chieftain’s docks.
- Cruise up to the bridge in Lyme, drop anchor, and take a dip.
- Explore Gilman Island. A cabin owned by Dartmouth is available for rent, if you want to make it an overnight trip.
- Cast out a line and fish for small-mouth bass near the mouth of the Ompompanoosuc River.
- Go waterskiing or tubing.
- Visit the Ledyard Bridge in Hanover and enjoy the company of the many people that conjugate at the Ledyard Canoe Club on hot summer days. This is a great place to drop anchor, have lunch, and meet other boaters.
- On the Fourth of July, you can head farther south and catch the fireworks in Wilder.
About the Chieftain Motor Inn
Since the 1950s, the Chieftain Motor Inn has provided a scenic, relaxing environment for those looking to get back in touch with the outdoors but who prefer the amenities that a hotel can offer. With a pool, a large backyard, three resident pets (a rabbit, a dog, and a turtle), and access to the Connecticut River, there is plenty to do for everyone. From family reunions to weddings, the Chieftain Inn is a great place to start a new tradition of your own, and have some good old-fashioned family fun.
For more information, call (603) 643-2550.
- Launch your own boat at Wilson’s Landing on Route 10 (just down the road from the Chieftain Inn).
- Don’t have your boater’s license? A member of the Inn’s friendly staff can accompany you on your trip so you don’t have to get one.
- Rent a canoe from the Inn or try a package deal that includes dinner and a canoe rental from North Star Canoe Rentals.